Industrial code reading and machine vision company Microscan will be acquired from Spectris plc by OMRON Corporation in an effort to advance the Kyoto, Japan-based company’s "control of manufacturing equipment and production lines, using the Internet of Things to connect virtually all objects on a manufacturing floor, including components and machines."
Completion of the acquisition is scheduled for early October and with it, OMRON aims to help its customers develop a “flexible style of manufacturing that meets increasingly diversified consumer requirements,” which will be accomplished by coding the information of all components and production equipment in the manufacturing environment.
Furthermore, OMRON is acquiring a range of industrial code readers and machine vision products that will be integrated into the company’s automation technology. By doing so, according to a press release, OMRON seeks to offer comprehensive solution packages that are tailored to the challenges faced by each industry. New solutions that will combine OMRON and Microscan technologies are expected to include:
- "Robot-linked traceability solution package" enabling easy and stable reading of multiple, intricately positioned ID codes
- "High-quality manufacturing solution package" for ideal combinations of components depending on their grade and characteristics
- "Serialization solution package for legal/regulatory compliance" enabling anyone to easily meet various legal requirements and regulations such as pharmaceutical regulations
- Predictive maintenance for highly efficient operation through ID coding for machines
- "Zero defect" manufacturing environment achieved by connecting machines with machine data, etc.
"OMRON is now committed to bringing innovation to manufacturing sites by materializing this concept. Going forward, OMRON will strive to create an environment that facilitates easy collection, analysis, and application of information at the manufacturing floor level," notes the company announcement.
In a company statement, Microscan explained that it is excited to become a global business unit of OMRON, and that in the near term, "We do not expect any significant changes in our daily operations," and that the Microscan team is "dedicated to continuing to deliver high quality products and outstanding customer service."
Earlier in the year, OMRON also acquired Sentech Co., Ltd., a manufacturer of industrial cameras.