Page 2: Signs continue to point toward record year for machine vision industry

Aug. 19, 2014
As more second quarter figures from major companies are released, it is looking more and more likely that 2014 could be a record year for the machine vision industry.  

Image sensor company ON Semiconductor also announced a spike in business for Q2. Total revenues for Q2 rose 7.2% to $757.6 million. This may not come as a huge surprise to many, as the company recently acquired both Aptina Imaging and Truesense Imaging, Inc.

Earlier this summer we reported on a number of news releases which indicated that 2014 is poised for significant growth in the machine vision market. One of these reports showed that Allied Vision Technologies reported a record setting first half of 2014, which far exceeded plans. Only once in the 25 year history of the company has AVT shipped 10,000 cameras in one month, but this past May, the company broke that mark. In addition, a historical record of more than €6.5 Million in one month was also broken in June, which has the company’s leadership looking toward meeting or perhaps even exceeding its ambitious 2014 goals.

The VDMA reported that not only did the German machine vision market achieve the previously-forecast 5% growth, but it also is expected to grow another 5% in 2014 at a total turnover of 1.64 billion Euros with major growth coming from exports to North America and Asia. In addition, the AIA reported that sales of machine vision components and systems grew 10% in the first quarter of the year.

With new products launched, new technologies emerging, and the need and demand for machine vision systems and components rising, it’s perhaps not all that surprising to see news like this, yet still, it’s good to keep tabs on the state of the industry and how it’s performing, which in this case, is rather well.

Share your vision-related news by contacting James Carroll, Senior Web Editor, Vision Systems Design

To receive news like this in your inbox, click here.

Join our LinkedIn group | Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Check us out on Google +

Page 1 | Page 2

About the Author

James Carroll

Former VSD Editor James Carroll joined the team 2013.  Carroll covered machine vision and imaging from numerous angles, including application stories, industry news, market updates, and new products. In addition to writing and editing articles, Carroll managed the Innovators Awards program and webcasts.

Voice Your Opinion

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Vision Systems Design, create an account today!